Canine Epilepsy Resources
Epil-K9 provides the following information for your education only. Advice and suggestions found on this site are not meant to replace professional veterinary care. Please consult your veterinarian before changing your dogs medications or diet .
- A Brief Overview of Canine Epilepsy : Marion Mitchell
- Important Issues Regarding Seizures: William Thomas DVM, Dipl.ACVIM(Neurology)
- Why Does My Dog Have Seizures? : Roy Dvorak.
- Canine Epilepsy Links on the WWW.
- Glossary of Seizure Terminology.
- Canine Epilepsy FAQ: Alicia Wiersma-Aylward.
- Seizures in Dogs : Thomas K. Graves D.V.M.
- Alternative/Holistic Approaches: including Milk Thistle, Rescue Remedy, Gold bead Implants & Chinese Medicine.
- Epilepsy, Convulsions and Seizures, Holistic Approaches: Mary Wulff-Tilford & Gregory Tilford
- Understanding Your Pet's Epilepsy: Dr Dennis O'Brien DVM
- Feline Epilepsy and Seizures: Bruce Lowekamp
- Feline Epilepsy List
- Diagnosis and Control of Seizures in the Cat Clare Rusbridge BVMS.DipECVN. MRCVS (downloadable PDF File)
Anti Epilepsy Drugs: (AEDs)
- Potassium & Sodium Bromide.
- Home Treatment with Diazepam for Cluster Seizures in Dogs: -W.B.Thomas DVM. MS, Dipl. ACVIM (Neurology)
- The Other AEDs - Maureen Setter, Sandie Snider & Dr WB Thomas DVM
Where to buy AEDs:
- Compounding Pharmacies
- AAA Brochure (PDF form use legal size paper and "shrink to fit paper")
- AAA Prescription Card This is NOT insurance just a way to reduce medication costs.
A Hands on Method of Shortening or Preventing Seizures:
- Ocular Compression Don Moreno
Problems Associated with Antiepileptic Drugs
- New non invasive urine bile acids test Finally a painless and more accurate way of checking your dogs/cats bile acids
- Phenobarbital Induced Liver Disease: W.B.Thomas DVM. MS, Dipl. ACVIM (Neurology)
- Antiepileptic Drugs and the Liver: Clare Rusbridge BVMS.DipECVN. MRCVS
- Blood Work: Kathi Dvorak
- Pancreatitis and Epilepsy is there a Connection? Clare Rusbridge BVMS.DipECVN. MRCVS
- Pancreatitis associated with Potassium Bromide/Phenobarbital Therapy: article from the Canadian Veterinary Journal (PDF)
Non Epileptic Seizures ( Also Known as Secondary Epilepsy) Caused by an Underlying Disease.
- Brain Tumors, Hydrocephalus, Porto-Systemic Shunt. Hypoglycemia, Diabetes and Cushings Disease : William Thomas D.V.M. and Barbara Eamous
- Vestibular Disease: W.B.Thomas DVM. MS, Dipl. ACVIM (Neurology)
- Seizures, Narcolepsy and REM: W.B.Thomas DVM. MS, Dipl. ACVIM (Neurology) Just added info on DNA testing for some breeds
- Lead Poisoning and Seizures : W.B.Thomas DVM. MS, Dipl. ACVIM (Neurology)
- Hypothyroidism, Epilepsy and Phenobarbital:William Thomas DVM, Dipl.ACVIM(Neurology)
- The Low Thyroid Seizure Connection : W. Jean Dodds D.V.M.
- Autoimmune Thyroid Disease -A Common Problem in Pure Bred Dogs : W. Jean Dodds D.V.M.
- Directory of Laboratories that test for Autoimmune Thyroiditis
Dr Dodds Forms for Tests (please print both pages)
Conditions that Mimic Canine Epilepsy
- Canine Epileptoid Cramping ( Spikes Disease) A recently diagnosed canine health problem and hereditary canine disease in Border Terriers.
- Episodic Falling in Cavalier King Charles Spaniels is frequently misdiagnosed as epilepsy and in mild cases may be written off as an odd event or quirk. Your veterinarian or breeder may be unaware that the disease exists because it is just being recognized in some parts of the world.
- Syncope: Sandie Snider
- Vaccinations Issues.
- Dr Jean Dodds revised vaccination protocol 2010
- Rabies Laws in the United States as of 6/17/2010
- Rabies Vaccination Medical Exemptions for Unhealthy Dogs
- Vaccine Related Articles on Dr. Dodds Pet Health Blog - added 5/24/14
Diet and Nutrition
- Diet & Nutrition: Susan Wynn D.V.M.
- Links to articles about Dog Food.
- The Role of a Healthy Natural Diet in the Management of Canine Epilepsy.:(Revised 12/16/2003)
- Issues in Nutrition including Homemade and Raw Diets: W.Jean Dodds D.V. M
- Does the Ketogenic Diet work for dogs? William Thomas DVM, Dipl.ACVIM(Neurology
- Doggy treats!! recipes for your favorite pooch.
- Dr Dodds Liver Cleansing Diet
Genetics, Breeding Issues and Research Projects Underway
- Dr Thomas's Research Updates
- Genetic Basis of Canine Idopathic Epilepsy: Barbara Licht Ph.D.
- What's the Big Deal :breeder Lauren Howard.
- Canine Epilepsy Research Projects.
- Details of Canine Epilepsy DNA research at the University of Missouri for prospective participants.
- Details of Canine Epilepsy DNA research at VetGen for prospective participants.
- Epilepsy and the Greater Swiss Mountain Dog
- The Road to Hell : Epilepsy and the Australian Shepherd by C.A. Sharp.
Winner of the 2003 DWAA Maxwell Award for "Best Regular Column in a National Club Magazine or Newsletter." First published in Australian Shepherd Journal, vol 13 issue 4, July/August, 2003.
- Border Collie Epilepsy Research At UC Davis
- Assessment of the prevalence and clinical features of cryptogenic epilepsy in dogs: 45 cases (2003-2011): Click to download.
- The pharmacokinetics of midazolam after intravenous, intramuscular and rectal administration in healthy dogs: CLick to download.
What else can I do:?
- How to join Epil-K9, our e-mail information and support group for owners of dogs who have seizures. This also includes the most frequently used commands to manage your subscription. Epil-K9's archives are now interactive (for members only) . The URL to access the archives can be found on this
Living with our Special Dogs
- Emma's Story "The Face of Canine Epilepsy" : Marion Mitchell
- The Fear Inside Us: The Fears of Epilepsy: Roy Dvorak
- I Thought it was a Dream: Elizabeth (Tibbie) Dell
- Canine Epilepsy Video : Kathi and Roy Dvorak, starring "Korie."
- Protecting Your Pet from Poisons: Chris Alderson
- First Aid for Pets: Lynne Condor
- Living with an Epileptic Dog Helpful Hints for living with your dogs epilepsy, a must read !
- Quality of Life Scale: Excellent example of how to determine your pets' quality of life
- Conversion Chart of Household Medicines and Antibiotics. Dosage schedule, precautions, conversion chart by weight, volume, measurement. This would be a good thing to print and keep handy in the house, car, and pet first aid kit. ~ Permission to upload granted by dogplace.org.
Sample documents and forms to help you provide for your pets in the event of sudden death or accident.
- Estate Planning for Pets
- A member's example of estate planning for her pets
- A member's example of a trust fund for her pets
- Document for car or prominent place in your home
- Generic emergency form for your car
Especially for our Epil-K9 Family
- Coping with the loss of a beloved pet poems & photos.
- Epil-K9 Memorial Page 1998
- Epil-K9 Memorial Page 1999
- Epil-K9 Memorial Page 2000
- Epil-K9 Memorial Page 2001
- Continuation of Memorial 2001
- Epil-K9 Memorial Page 2002
- Continuation of Memorial 2002
- Epil-K9 Memorial Page 2003
- Epil-K9 Memorial Page 2004
- Epil-K9 Memorial Page 2005
- Epil-K9 Memorial Page 2006
- Epil-K9 Memorial Page 2007
- Epil-K9 Memorial Page 2008
- Epil-K9 Memorial Page 2009
- Epil-K9 Memorial Page 2010
- Epil-K9 Memorial Page 2011
- Epil-K9 Memorial Page 2012
- Epil-K9 Memorial Page 2013
- Please note that not all of the dogs on the Memorial pages died of epilepsy. Some died of old age, cancer, heart problems, and some are other family pets.
- Wally's Foundation: http://thewallyfoundation.com/
- Dr. Jean Dodds Pet Health Research Blog - EXCELLENT resource - added 5/24/14
A down loadable flyer suitable for displaying in veterinary offices & petstores
designed by Epil-K9 Member Chris Alderson .
In memory of all our lost loved ones.
Unique visitors since 01/12/2011
- "CANINE SEIZURES " a threefold pamphlet now available in Adobe Acrobat PDF form please click on the link below. The original printed version was funded by the Dalmatian Club of America Foundation
Canine Seizures Brochure
Get Adobe Acrobat
Page last update: 05/24/2014